There are two important parts of your nervous system, the parasympathetic and sympathetic.
The Sympathetic Nervous System is responsible for “fight or flight”. It's the stress response.
When the sympathetic nervous system is activated, your body experiences:
The Parasympathetic Nervous System is responsible for “rest and digest”. It’s the relaxation response.
- increased alertness
- a feeling of energy and euphoria,
- increased blood pressure, heart rate and breathing rate
- increased muscle tone
- use of energy reserves
When the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, your body experiences:
- decreased alertness
- a feeling of calmness and relaxation
- decreased heart rate and breathing rate
- relaxed muscles
- increased digestive activity